In 2020, some major landscaping trends will be at the forefront of many people’s minds, as we focus on simplicity and sustainability. These trends go beyond landscapes that look great but include working towards major benefits including money-saving and eco-friendly solutions that look beautiful but are also simple to take care of.
As more people go back to their roots and begin spending more time outdoors, this 2020 Landscaping Trends guide will help you to make the most out of your current landscape. It will even help you plan a more sustainable environment for you to spend time in and feel good about.
Your landscape is supposed to be your little bit of heaven. Let’s get into the trends:
Low-maintenance landscapes are trending for 2020 and have been for some time. The goal is to have a beautiful space to spend time in that isn’t something that needs to be taken care of every single day. Having a low-maintenance landscape allows you to enjoy the great outdoors and spend time with family and friends.
The purpose of a low maintenance landscape also revolves around it being beautiful. Low maintenance isn’t supposed to be all rock but something that naturally thrives in the Colorado climate and highlights the natural beauty of your yard. Here’s how:
Xeriscaping is a landscaping style designed for water conservation, utility, and beauty. It is the perfect low-maintenance option that utilizes native plants that do well in the dry and arid climate. The major benefits are:
- Water savings: when converting a typical bluegrass turf to a xeric shrub bed, the average water savings range from 20-40% depending on plant type and planting density
- Reduced costs over time: xeric plants are naturally adapted to periods of drought which reduces plant loss and the cost of landscape replacement over time
Having a xeriscaped yard doesn’t necessarily mean zero turf because there are a number of turf alternatives you can use. It also doesn’t have to be something that is all or nothing and can be implemented in just a small area of your yard to see the benefits.
There are so many different plants and features that are perfect for xeriscaping in Colorado. The Complete Guide to Xeriscaping includes plant lists, xeriscaping considerations, and benefits.
Vertical gardening is going to be a major trend in 2020 as more and more people embrace small home living, apartment living, or just utilizing space more efficiently.
It’s an incredible way to utilize your space to it’s fullest and even hide walls or fences that aren’t visually appealing. When vertical gardening, it’s important to plan out the garden and containers before planting and place in a location that is easy to water and receives sunlight.
Companion planting has been a growing trend for many years and continues to be a huge hit with gardeners. There are a number of benefits you can get from companion planting depending on the plants you select:
- Increasing soil nutrients
- Reducing pests
- Preventing weeds
- Attracting pollinators
- Healthier plants and increased harvest
Companion planting continues to be a hit. It’s a more natural and organic way to enjoy your garden and be proactive when it comes to common plant problems. You can even encourage useful bugs with companion planting which is like having your (carrot) cake and eating it too!
Outdoor Living Spaces
Investing in outdoor living spaces has become extremely important as more and more people want to enjoy nature in their backyard.
Besides the therapeutic benefits of spending more time in nature (such as stress reduction and feeling happier), investing in your outdoor living space is one of the top 10 high return on investment additions you can make to your landscape. Enjoy your landscape and increase your home value at the same time!
Some of the best outdoor living space additions you can make to your home are:
- Patios: Patios are an essential focal point for your outdoor living space and for people to congregate. Creative patios that incorporate multiple levels, fire pits, and even multiple materials for aesthetic appeal can make your yard the place everyone wants to be.
- Outdoor Kitchens: In 2020, we are going beyond the standalone grill. Outdoor kitchens can be a built, permanent solution, that withstands the elements and brings a luxury look to your property. From sinks, countertops, storage, and more, there are so many options.
- Pergolas: Pergolas were a huge hit in 2019 and their popularity is continuing to increase. They provide a highlighted space to be in your yard, shade, and a beautiful structure for hanging vines and plants. Pergolas also bring personality to your outdoor living space.
- Lighting: Outdoor lighting has been around for a while, but as people start enjoying and upgrading their yards more, outdoor lighting has become more important to highlight key features in your landscape. Outdoor lighting that changes colors for fun events and adds elegance have become increasingly popular. With multiple options to choose from, your lighting should be simple to use and energy-efficient. Benefits include making your property safer and allowing you to enjoy the outdoors during the evening hours. Your outdoor living space is meant to feel like a vacation, so enjoy it at night too!
Outdoor smart tech is only getting smarter and more affordable. From solar-powered tech and robotics to weather tracking irrigation systems, caring for your yard with the help of smart tech makes having a beautiful yard easy.
One of the fastest growing outdoor smart tech pieces is smart irrigation controllers. There are a number of benefits to selecting the right smart controller, including saving money on water and achieving a healthier-looking landscape.
Sustainable, Multi-Use, Eco-Friendly Solutions
Sustainable landscaping is becoming a necessity in the residential arena. It can help save money, support the local ecosystems, and reduce overall waste.
It’s important to remember that implementing a sustainable landscape isn’t something that has to be done all at once to see the benefits. Small steps towards eco-friendly solutions over time can make a huge difference.
On that note, the following are some ways you can start to implement sustainable solutions in your landscape:
- Strategic planting for energy efficiency: Did you know that the location of your plants can actually reduce heating costs in the winter and cooling costs in the summer?
- Planting using native and xeric plants (see above): When you use native plants, it actually contributes to the eco-system. These plants are also much better adapted to the Colorado environment. Just be sure to purchase your native plants from a local nursery because removing a plant from a native environment can hurt bio-diversity.
- Plant for pollinators: There are a number of native pollinators in Colorado Springs. Pollinators reproduce 90% of flowering plants and are in decline so they need our help. Planting plants that help pollinators is going to be a major trend going into 2020 as communities work to help increase pollinator populations. Here is a list of plants that help pollinators.
- Composting to reduce, re-use, and recycle: Composting is the process of recycling organic matter like veggie scraps and grass clippings. This decomposes into a rich fertilizer you can use to increase your garden yield and keep your plants healthy. Check out the Colorado Composting Guide to start your composting journey.
Take your sustainable landscaping transformation one step at a time. Before you know it, you’ll be saving money, helping the eco-system, and be enjoying your yard even more in 2020.
Indoor Gardens and Garden Rooms
We’re really excited about this growing trend because the winters in Colorado can feel bland compared to the vibrant plant life we are used to experiencing during the warm season.
It’s also a great way to keep your outdoor potted plant displays happy and thriving by pulling them indoors during the winter. Here’s a guide to starting your indoor garden.
PRO TIP: Include herbs in your indoor garden to enjoy homegrown food throughout the year too!
These are the major landscaping trends for 2020. Sustainability and simplicity are going to be important themes. Your landscape should be a place for you to enjoy spending time with friends and family and a place that is beautiful.
If you’re ready to create your dream landscape, your little bit of heaven on earth, Timberline Landscaping can help you create a beautiful solution that is easy to maintain and is sustainable. Contact us to get started.